15
This lovely watercolour is from Larry, he says, " My attempt at May homework "Clouds". I wanted to make the clouds the focus of the painting but feel that, although I did not put too much detail in the background buildings, they are still too prominent and should have been in a lighter tone. This is taken from a photograph I took on Sunday whilst fishing on the River Onny at Onnibury".
I think this is a tricky problem Larry, I am still struggling with a picture with heavy clouds I started months ago. If the sun is behind the clouds the landscape will be darker, if the landscape is lit by the sun there will be sharp shadows and bright highlights. I think the fact that the horizon is low forces the eye up to the sky but you are right, my eye is still drawn to the buildings, probably because of the detail in them. However, I think this is fine, the only thing I am not sure about is the animal in the foreground, although it doesn't particularly draw my eye to it.
Is this a different paper that you are using? The granulation in the sky is super and really adds to the moody feel of the day. You have also caught exactly the right greens for the foreground which certainly is not easy. I think you should be very pleased with the painting, I would be if it were mine.

Jean's comments as ever get to the heart of it. I do see the clouds first and agree it's a lovely painting. Eva
ReplyDelete