Monday, 11 May 2020

MAY 2020 (3)

10

"Low tide at Lynton" is from Larry, he says, "based on a photograph I took when we were there last September.  I am reasonably happy with this painting but feel that the background trees and cottages should have been a lighter tone"  I can see what you mean Larry, but I do not think it detracts from the painting.  My eyes are first drawn to the cottages but then down to the left hand boat via the lower cottage and then along the boats and back up to the cottages again.  It must have taken you some time to paint as there is lots of interesting detail in it, especially for boat lovers. In fact I think you could probably have created several good compositions from the photograph. A super watercolour and, judging from Rose's  comment on John's painting, one she will find very pleasing.  Also, one that I am sure will sell immediately if you decide to sell it.  



Ruth, who has found Susie's idea of drawing a chair a day has "got her working", has sent the following suggestion that she was given by an art tutor at Hereford Cathedral School when the Ludlow Art Society visited several years ago.  "Coat hardboard with silk emulsion paint, two coats, draw into it with a ball point pen, spray with hair spray or fixer."  She says that it gives "a soft sketchy effect".  Thats a great idea Ruth, if anyone else has any innovative tips or ideas, please do share them with the rest of us.   



1 comment:

  1. Larry I love this painting. Jean was right! The lifeboats add a touch of vibrancy to the scene in the foreground. There is a lot of detail - you must be very patient. I’ve attempted a boat in a picture recently and I had a lot of trouble with it. Their shapes are so streamlined and when they are out of water even more of a challenge.
    Well done and thank you. I must visit there one day.

    ReplyDelete