As I haven't done any homework for some time, I thought I had better show willing, but a suitable image for May's homework subject "clouds" eluded me for some time.
Bob's recent digital painting illustrating A E Houseman's poem and John's idea of copying a painting by Edmond-de-Schampheleer, the Belgian artist, set me thinking.
This is a copy of one of the drawings by Ernest Shepard, who drew all the illustrations in A A Milne's stories for his son Christopher Robin.
18
For those of you who may not know the story it depicts Pooh Bear trying to get honey from a bee's nest that is up high in a tree. He has rolled in mud to disguise himself as a small black cloud and floated up, beside the tree, under a blue balloon (to match the sky). Unfortunately Pooh found the bees were very suspicious of him and after being stung on the nose, soon decided that they were the "wrong kind of bees" and would probably "have the wrong kind of honey" so he asked Christopher Robin to shoot the balloon with his gun, which he did and the air came slowly out of the balloon and Pooh floated back to earth. This picture shows the bees buzzing suspiciously around Pooh.

That's fun!
ReplyDeleteHaha! I love Pooh and his silly antics. I remember this one in particular. It’s such a wonderful little story. ❤️
ReplyDelete