Thursday, 21 January 2021

JANUARY 2021 (9)

Two emails yesterday the first from Robert today, in the first he says, "The Old Arbour Tree at Aston on Clun. I’m a compulsive sketcher and I recommend the habit to anyone who likes making pictures. David Hockney claims that to make a convincing drawing you really have to look really hard. A camera only gives a superficial record of what we can actually see if we observe closely. The moral is to sit in front of the subject rathe than let the camera do it for you. This is a Conte crayon study made on the spot to which I’ve added some quick touches of watercolour a dangerous afterthought! I did follow up with a watercolour interpretation which was sold or lost - not sure which. "

26

This is great Robert, some lovely marks with the conte. I should think the watercolour interpretation was probably sold.  It might be nice to try it again either in watercolour or on your ipad?


The second is from Larry, he says, "As promised my submission for this months homework. It is a portrait of my cousin Freda who we only get to see once or twice a year as she lives off Victoria Street in London. I must admit I did not spend a lot of time on it, two and a bit evenings in all, but have thoroughly enjoyed doing it. It is a painting that I became totally immersed in. At various times a type of nervous energy took over and I had to force myself to stop and review the work. All the time pacing and fretting to get back on with it. This sensation does not happen often to me, but when it does the painting tends to be one of my better ones."

27

This is a fantastic portrait, Larry, I am really impressed; watercolour is so difficult, and so are portraits but this works so well.  I am not surprised that you are pleased with it.  Very well done indeeed.  Do you think you can tell us how to get into the state you describe?







No comments:

Post a Comment