I just received another email from Larry and, decided to update the blog straight away as I know how popular Larry's work is. He says, "Here are couple more of my paintings that you may wish to put on the blog. The first, a frosty scene, well that’s what it was supposed to be, of Tunnel Lane in Orleton. This was painted over the last weekend after the hard frost of last Thursday morning. I am afraid that when I completed it I realised that it was very over worked.
I do not appear to be achieving my aim of ‘loosening up’ and so with the next painting I tried not to get too bogged down in detail. The painting is of a view from the churchyard of St Bartholemew’s, Richard’s Castle old church, towards Clee Hill. Apart from the tree, bottom left, I think it is looser and less detailed. I made a concerted effort to try and get the tone and colour right the first time so that I did not have to go back and over paint areas at the end.
The finished painting is much cleaner, lighter and pleasing to the eye, well mine at least, so hopefully I am heading in the right direction."
17
18
Thank you for these Larry. Although I wouldn't be too hard on yourself over "Tunnel Lane" I agree that the "View from St Bartholemews" is crisp in the foreground, but not overworked, and the whole painting is fresh and spontaneous. Very well done indeed, it is a lovely watercolour painting. Certainly one to frame.


I agree the Clee Hill painting is fresher ut frosty trees in waterclur is very difficult and think y have done the very well. Eva
ReplyDeleteI really love the View from St Bartholemews it is so light and fresh my only query is the left hand dark tree, I know it is in the foreground but it does seem a bit dark. Could you lighten it or maybe crop it if you don't like it either?
ReplyDelete