Memories. I have been sorting out some of the stuff I have transferred to my workshop in the new shed. Loads of glass cullet, most too small to use for anything much, which triggered a memory of the early 2000's when I attended evening classes in Stourbridge for stained glass work. The lovely chap running it really wanted to be a glass artist, but needed money so he ran the classes and he preferred people who arrived with large projects, so that he could sell them lots of glass and lead as well as charging them for the classes! One student paid for the classes and then raided the cullet box (that we were all given access to) for pieces of off-cut glass that he spent the whole term turning into Christmas angels, or other trinkets. As you can imagine he was not the most popular student!
Fast forward to today, I decided I could perhaps see if I could also make an angel! No pattern? So a quick look on the internet for ideas and then combined them for, what I thought might work. There were quite a few trials and errors but below is the result. I was undecided whether to leave the lead the original silver but as it discolours quite quickly I used a chemical to colour it copper coloured. I usually use black but thought black may be a bit heavy for an angel. I am not sure about the copper as it is a bit uneven (perhaps it looks antique?) and wonder whether I should try the changing it to black but a) I don't know whether those different chemicals would work over the copper, and b) it cannot be reversed once blacked! What do you think?
I like the colour as it is, I agree with you that black would be a bit heavy. It's quite charming, are you taking orders? Lesley C
ReplyDeleteI love it as it is. Are you thinking of making them to sell? If so I'd love to order two, one for me and one as a gift.
ReplyDeleteI really like these - simple design but very effective.
ReplyDelete