Thursday, 25 June 2020

JUNE 2020 (6)

John has sent me some studies of plants following attending a course on botanical painting tutored by Sue Linton. He says "Sue Linton's botanical painting course went well, and I learned a lot. These were done over the last couple of months. I find that to get the necessary depth of colour I need quite a few layers which looses the transparency I wish for."  

I know that in all painting mediums some colours are more transparent than others, especially those made from single pigments and that mixing colours can reduce transparency.  Also applying more layers will also reduce transparency but it is so long since I did watercolour painting that I cannot help John on his query, can anyone else give him some suggestions on how to obtain the transparency he is after in dark colours?

10


1 comment:

  1. I really like your botanical studies. I find it difficult to keep the transparency but tend to do multiple thin washes rather than one or two thicker washes. I'm also starting to pay much more attention to which colours are transparent and I will try and buy either transparent or semi-transparent colours in the future. I do have a partial list of Winsor and Newton colours telling their transparency or opacity. If you want I'll scan it and and it to you

    ReplyDelete