Has anyone heard of Hashim Akib? I became intrigued about his technique with acrylic paints because I was tired of trying to obtain smooth transitions of light and shade to depict roundness. His answer, he doesn't try to use an oil painting technique but mixes colours on his brush to obtain the values he is looking for without smoothing at all. It is a little more complicated than that, but if you are interested here is a link to his website https://www.hashimakib.co.uk
I managed to obtain his first book and although I thought at first "this is definitely not for me" I eventually thought I should at least give it a try. I will say I find it extremely difficult to do it as he does, but after all I haven't had 15 years of experience; not to mention his obvious drawing skills (which I think talented artists sometimes forget they have - and some of us lesser mortals definitely don't have) and they think it is as easy for the rest of us to know exactly where to place the highlight and at what angle, let alone solve the problems with perspective!
Anyway enough of my whinging, I decided to try a simple one, a rose for my flower subject of the month. It was not a great success, here is mine




All of these paintings are So Good, watercolour kitten, fantastic as are flowers, orange rose and Bridgnorth. Such talent. And effort! Eva
ReplyDeleteSome lovely work there! Yes, I'd heard of Hashim Akib, there were people at the group in Milton Keynes who raved about him.
ReplyDeleteWell done Jean, I love the fact that you are always trying new techniques and sharing the results with us all Les C
ReplyDelete