Thursday, 18 March 2021

MARCH 2021 (4)

Two or three days ago Larry sent me an email, he says, "The first two paintings are of a corn field at Bwlch near Llangorse taken from a photograph I took whilst walking in August 2018. Neither really capture the atmosphere that I was trying to achieve. I think I like the first one better.

The next painting is of Milton Abbas in Dorset. In the Tea Clipper Craft Shop is a cutting from the Observer Magazine from July 1979 which states: Milton Abbas lies in a narrow ribbon along the deep wooded valley of Milbourne Brook. It was laid out in 1771-90 for Joseph Damer, Viscount Milton, who was rebuilding his house and wanted the site of the existing village for his park. This ‘unmannerly imperious lord’, as his architect called him, destroyed a village, bannished the grammar school (to protect his apples) and opened a sluice gate to flood out a particularly argumentative lawyer. But the new village is now charming: identical four-square cottages of cob and thatch with green in front and steep gardens behind. The painting does not do it justice and it is well worth a visit.

The next is of boats and cottages at low tide just above Porlock Weir in North Somerset.

Next is a painting of a converted water mill and cottages at Silton, near Gillinham in Dorset which was very close to the caravan site we stayed at last August. 

And finally a painting of a sailing barge on the River Snape at Snape Maltings in Suffolk."

7


8


9


10


11


12





Thank you for these Larry.  I agree with you about the corn field paintings as I too prefer the first, which I like very much.  I can't know what the atmosphere was like in your field but I have found it incredibly hard to paint my memories of the cornfields I have tried to reproduce in paint, even with a photo. My next favourite is Milton Abbas and then the mill at Snape Maltings.  







1 comment:

  1. These are fabulous Larry, I particularly like the first one.

    ReplyDelete