I have received an email from John, he says, "I have enjoyed doing this water colour. I chose it to copy because it looked fairly easy and had a bit more interest than a normal landscape.
I was interested to enlarge a bit of the original and see the detail. It must have been a pretty big picture. Not a picture I am very happy with. ? Back to the oils!"
I really like it John, thank you. I looked it up as the reference was on your email, and I see it is called "Fishing houses in Scheneningen" by Johannes Bosboom date 1873; and as I did not know where Scheveningen is, I had to look that up too, and found it is one of the eight districts of The Hague.
I notice too that the website you used for the image is "uplash.com" which is a source of "freely usable" images and it certainly has some stunning photographs there. A very useful site if anyone is looking for a subject.
As far as water colour versus oil is concerned, I think both suit different subjects but having dabbled recently with watercolour I have to say that I find oil is easier.

It’s an interesting interpretation of somebody else’s watercolour John. It’s strength lies in the way you seem to have convincingly recorded the houses. So with a sound beginning you could have devised your own colour scheme and make it a different picture. You would probably been happier with it then.
ReplyDeleteWatercolour is best used clean and strong. Look at my recent post of Quimper to see what getting at. Use a photograph by all means but don’t feel obliged to use the colours the camera gives you.