An email from Larry today, he says, "Another couple of paintings for the blog if you would like them. The first is of the harbour at Lydney in the Forest of Dean, down by the Severn Estuary. There is a large lock that retains the water in the river Lyd to prevent it all running into the Severn at low tide. Most of the boats moored here look as if they have seen better days and have been forgotten by their owners. It is based on some photographs that I took whilst looking after my grandchildren a few weeks ago.
The second painting is of an imaginary sunset over Venice. Based on a photograph that I took of the Grand Canal when we were fortunate enough to go there several years ago. It has turned out quite grainy but perhaps reflects the condition of the architecture as the city is slowly being reclaimed by the sea. If it was not for the water taxis it looks as if it could have been painted centuries ago, but that was not my intention when I started it."
14
15
Of course we want your super pictures for the blog Larry! I certainly look forward to seeing them and I know other members do too, they are an inspiration. Lydney Harbour reminds me very much of the boats that I have seen in out of the way harbours, your foreground water is particularly effective (it looks very wet!)
You are right about your Venice painting looking as though it belongs to a different era, it is lovely; and there is a lot of detail in it so it must have taken you some time to complete.
I have never been to Lydney so I googled it for when we manage to get out and about again, it looks delightful. Steve reminded me that we have been to the Dean Forest Railway, that is not too far away from the harbour, so there is another incentive for us to go!


No comments:
Post a Comment