Monday, 12 July 2021

JULY 2021 (4)



Two lovely paintings from Lesley M arrived today, she says, "I'm attaching two paintings, one which you saw on Monday, is my take on a Billy tutorial of a dried hydrangea head. She did it using walnut ink and watercolour and ended up by sticking on some actual flowers. I had neither walnut ink nor real hydrangea flowers so thought I'd go 'pretty, pretty'. It was fun to do once I'd managed to achieve the wash behind - I still struggle with washes.


The second is a study of pomegranates. The two including flowers are from photos I took in Kefalonia several years ago, the actual pomegranate is based on a Billy tutorial and the fruit is from a picture on Pixabay. It took quite a long time, particularly the section of the fruit but I enjoyed it and I've learnt a lot."

4

5

Thank you for sending these Lesley; looking at the hydrangea you appear to have cracked laying a wash.  I don't know what pigment you used (cobalt blue?) but the granulation is great. Did you drop in the pink after laying it, but whilst the page was still damp? Or lay it in afterwards? It is always good to use demos to do your own thing it cements the learning.  
The pomegranate series is super I have always loved  botanicals that show the whole sequence of the subject, it is like a story in paint.








1 comment:

  1. Now that Lesley has embraced colour she is producing some lovely paintings. Well done. Eva

    ReplyDelete