Tuesday, 5 July 2022

JULY 2022 (2)



A couple of days ago an email arrived from Lesley M, she says, "I haven't posted anything for the blog for ages, but I finally got round to taking photos yesterday.
The Wild Oat Grass you saw a bit of whilst I was painting it and I did eventually finish it. The Bluebells were drawn from life, two and a half were painted from life and the leaves and the l;ast one finished from photographs. I did keep the dying flowers and they set seed which is now sown in the Churchyard! The two Nigella paintings were both done from life, and they took precedence for a while as the flowers last for such a short time, but the seed pods are really interesting anyway. I've had a mixture of single and double flowers, sadly mainly singles, with one or two white ones and no pink ones at all."

2

3


4

5

Thank you for these Lesley, I am sure everyone will agree that these closely observed,  detailed paintings were worth waiting for.  
I didn't realise that Nigella came in doubles but I agree with you that the seed pods are lovely. Apparently the black seeds were once used in Egypt as a spice to decorate bread and cakes.  They were considered to be fattening but as female plumpness was fashionable at that time they were also eaten like sweeties!






2 comments:

  1. Well done, nigella especially.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pictures! I think nigella seeds are still used in some recipes.

    ReplyDelete