An email from Larry today, he says, " I’m sorry that I have not submitted anything for the blog recently but hopefully these paintings will make up for that. The first painting is a ‘plein air’ study of Bromsberrow Place, near Ledbury, the home of Dr The Hon. Gilbert Greenall, CBE who very kindly allowed the Herefordshire Painting Club access to the grounds for a days painting. The drawing is fairly accurate but unfortunately the weather took a turn for the worse and I had to rush to finish it before the rain set in.
2
This next one is of a beachside cottage at Morfa Nefyn on the Llyn Peninsula in North Wales. It is based on a photograph that I took whilst we were staying in the area in May. I am quite pleased with the finished product as I think that I tend to use too much pigment in a lot of my paintings.
This last one is another ‘plein air’ work of the ruins of the ‘Church of St. John the Baptist’ at Llanwarne, another venue for the club. As you can see I have again lost the luminosity of the paint through using too much pigment.
4
Unfortunately I will not be able to get to the next couple of meetings as we are going away again, firstly to Nottingham then a fortnight later to Gosforth in Cumbria. These will be our fourth and fifth trips away this year with the caravan with further trips already planned for Derbyshire and Scotland in August and September.
Hope you are all keeping well.
Regards Larry Turner
Thank you for sending all these lovely paintings Larry. Glad to hear you are making the most of your caravan and enjoying our beautiful countryside. I know what you mean about more pigment reducing the transparency of watercolour but many artists use watercolour in this way, just as some work only with very transparent pigments and light washes. It is one style of painting, not to be confused with gouache, and as some pigments are naturally more opaque than others so transparency will be reduced. I like both ways and think the subject will often dictate a different style or approach.



These at we all lovely! I used to visit Morfa Nefyn a lot but sadly not for many years now. Rose
ReplyDelete