Another email from Larry, he says, "A couple of recent paintings for the blog. The first is based on a photograph of Coverack that I took whilst we were staying in Porthleven some years ago. Although I had masked out some highlights I did add some more with white gouache which has in fact detracted rather than enhanced the painting, I will not try that again. Overall I am reasonably happy with it except for the foreground which is perhaps too dark.
This second painting is of the bridge over the River Teme on the Oakley Park Estate at Bromfield. This I started before Christmas, I believe that you have already seen it, is based on a sketch that I made last December whilst out walking. I am very pleased with the final result although it could have perhaps been looser and less tone used on some of the background trees."
5
Two more great paintings, thank you Larry. I don't think the foreground is too dark in the first, in fact I wonder whether the shadows could have been used to link the boats into a more cohesive group? Your buildings and background are very good but I am unsure whether the boats add to the composition? Maybe one or two larger vessels on the right of the picture perhaps with the masts leading the eye up into the picture towards the sunlit landscape? Just a thought!
Yes I think you were working on the second last time I saw you at the hall. I think you should be pleased with this it, I particularly like the autumn colours.
Great trees in the Bromfield painting, very impressive. Eva
ReplyDelete