Thursday, 17 September 2020

SEPTEMBER 2020 (2)



Still life paintings on our walls!

Almost as soon as I posted the 1st blog of September, John sent me two photos of the still life paintings he has on his walls He says, " Here are two on my walls. The oil was done in my last year at school, aged 18. One of the boys had an artist mother who came in after school for a few weeks and taught us to do this still life, she supplied the materials. I never touched a brush again until I was seventy five, and Joined the Orleton group.

The water colour is "after" but not a direct copy of a picture I saw on someone's wall.
I have to accept that almost exclusively my stuff is best if I copy."


3


4

I think both of these are great John. If I had to choose one for my wall, I would select the oil but that is probably because oil is my favourite medium. I too, like to copy but there is no harm in that- - - - - - provided you don't pass it off as your own!!!!




As you have kindly sent your two "wall" still lifes I thought I had better own up to mine. It is pretty well the first picture I painted in acrylic. I was on a workshop held by Liz Seward (google her, she is good) and she taught us loads of things including placing the still life objects onto tin foil (which Liz used a lot then to produce super (almost signature) paintings). I absolutely loved this teapot but wished that I hadn't chosen it when I was about half way through, never the less I persevered and although there are parts of it I don't like I decided to keep it whole (rather than cut out the bits I didn't like) and I have it hanging in my kitchen.  It reminds me of a couple of really good days, as Liz is great fun.

5




3 comments:

  1. John, painting is about enjoying yourself as well as the end result and I think both of the still lives are good, why don't you set up one at home and have a go?. Once it's set up, in good light, you can paint it over a number of day's. Lesley C

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the teapot and lemons. That’s such a good idea to put foil underneath. Must try that. The table and the reflection as well as the shine on the teapot are beautifully painted. Very well done!!

    ReplyDelete