Friday, 24 April 2020

APRIL 20 - 30th

We have done so well during April, with images for the blog, that I have started a third section.  Do keep it up.  I am amazed by your work, not only the quantity and the quality but also by the fact that you are continuing to paint, even though we have been having such glorious weather and you could easily have been out in the garden.  Thank you so much.

24

25

26
Bob has sent us a real treat here.  Three pastel portraits completed at a figure drawing course, run by the late Jean Williams, at the Assembly Rooms, Ludlow.  Ludlow Art Society used to run a "Summer School" during August and there were three different topics to choose from, each led by a different tutor.  Jean was also my tutor when I enrolled for an Open College of the Arts course in watercolour, and I can remember attending a figure drawing course during a "Summer School" not long after I joined the Ludlow Art Society.  I wonder if Bob was there at the same time?  I can remember being rather overawed by most of the other participants.  
  Bob says:-   "I started to take a serious interest in the pastel medium when, years ago, I attended a Pastel week-end near Skipton, run by Moira Huntley and John Blockley. Moira took the practical sessions. John was not well and only turned up for the critiques.  He died a few months later which was a sad loss as he was our LAS President at the time.
You may find it helpful if you studied Moira’s work on “Moira Huntly Paintings”. This address should take you to several galleries which sell her work. Her still life’s are most helpful in this context because she uses bold direct marks made with pastel sticks to good effect.  I’ve tried to use the method of free bold mark making instead of searching for precise details in these figure drawings."
Thank you for this Bob, I can confirm that It is well worth searching for, and studying, Moira's work.  
27
I just love the colour palette and the way Larry has depicted the light in this one.  He says it is "looking out over Bircher Common from Oaker Coppice, based on a photo taken just before lockdown"

28

Some of you may remember me starting this mosaic clock some months ago. It has been complete for some time and I have just put it up in my shed. The design is based on a "witches knot" which is a common symbol in folk magic and was used in the middle ages to protect against witchcraft.  It was usually scratched over the doorways of homes and stables. 

29

This Magnolia bloom is from Lesley M.  She says "I so enjoyed doing the daffodil, I've forgotten most of the anguish now, I thought I'd continue and try and do another subject but using Billy's methods.  I did think about watching the daffodil video again but thought that's cheating.
So here is my Magnolia bloom.  It took an afternoon to draw and then rub back to nearly invisible, and then at least two afternoons to paint it.  Fortunately the eradicator brush arrived yesterday afternoon, just in time to get rid of some hard edges and redo the veins on the leaves.
I am so impressed with her persistence and dedication (I really don't think watching a video again would have been cheating!) and I think you will agree the result is  pretty fantastic.   

30

This great painting is from George, it is in watercolour and is of Polperro Harbour.  He says it has taken him a long time to complete it as both he, and Dorothy, have been poorly (he calls it "quite dodgy") but fortunately not due to the virus.  He has recovered somewhat, but Dorothy is still suffering, so let's hope they are both soon fully fit again. We are glad that you have recovered enough to send in this painting George, as we have missed seeing your beautiful work.   



8 comments:

  1. Eva says these are inspiring, so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eva. What variety, love the mosaic and Larry's painting which captures the fresh light so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eva says well done Lesley, good composition and very good painting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I remember the mosaic - like it! And the magnolia is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your clock Jean and think Larry's painting is wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love George's painting, the sky is amazing! Sorry to hear they've been ill and best wishes to everyone especially Bridget who's struggling with the dreaded virus

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eva says another great painting by George and think he has already done Clouds as well. Hope he feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the scene from Oaker coppice Larry. It’s stunning and feels quite still and peaceful. I love trees so always something I’m drawn too, especially if they are quite close to you. How do you know how much detail to give?
    Bob I love your pastel figures. They really are beautiful. I do like pastels but how do you manage not to get in a mess? !
    I’m a big fan of water colours and harbours so the painting of Polperro is gorgeous George. One day I will do a water colour I’m pleased with. Hey ho I know it takes a lot of steadfast practise! Well Jean, you will be pleased to know , I did get my paints out on the first wet day! Hurray. I’ve moved all the clutter of my dining table - nothing too important really ! (Though I have got 6 newly hatched chicks to look after.)

    ReplyDelete