Another email from Larry, he says, "Hi Jean, another painting for the blog if you want it. Watercolour, of course, based on a photograph that I took whilst out walking of a small settlement in Derbyshire. The usual problem, in that I use too much pigment for the distant features, then really have to increase it more to get the foreground to read correctly. The grass verges on both sides of the lane and the stone walls should definitely lighten as they go towards the hamlet to push it further back into the distance. The roof of the old barn in the midground again has been overworked and draws the eye too much.
Thank you for you very valued and valid comments on the previous painting I sent, they are most welcome."
4
Thank you for this Larry, you have captured the slanting (evening/morning?) light beautifully in this one. Watercolour is such a difficult medium so don't be too hard on yourself; yes I can see that the roof of the old barn is perhaps too dark and draws the eye, but the verges and the stone walls not so much. Could it be corrected by lifting? It really is a lovely subject and no other medium could match the softness in the trees and the granulation in the road.
I appreciate your thanks for my comments, I find them very difficult to give as I know I could not paint your landscapes as well as you. However, I know myself how valuable I find constructive criticism and I endeavour to always offer possible solutions if I can.
I also think that including paintings on the blog that, perhaps don't meet our own standards, with our own critique is not only brave but is very useful for other group members.

Very good in my opinion, lovely composition, you improve all the time with watercolour, which is difficult.
ReplyDeleteLovely as usual Larry. I do agree that the old barn roof is a bit dark, I'd lift it a little. I also wish I could paint a tenth as well as you!
ReplyDelete