Monday, 22 November 2021

NOVEMBER 2021 (1)


An email from Larry arrived in my inbox today, he says, "Attached are two paintings, the first is of Church Farm, More, Nr Bishops Castle. This is based on a photograph I took a few weeks ago whilst we were out cycling. I had to use quite a bit of artistic licence to get a reasonable composition. Unfortunately although the background and mid ground are reasonably successful I have lost the ‘light’ in the foreground and it has turned out quite muddy.

The second painting is the one I started at our last meeting at Little Hereford, it is of an old stone wall in the Derbyshire Dales near Castleton. This is again based on a photograph that I took when we were there in September 2014 on a ramblers holiday. This has turned out much better in my opinion. I particularly like the foreground path."

1

2

Thanks for these Larry,  I too like the second of these paintings, there is a lot of depth in it and, as you rightly say, the foreground accurately depicts a brightly lit horizontal surface.  However, perhaps it is the vertical troughs in the Bishops Castle painting that detract the eye?  Anyway, as I am pretty well "Derbyshire born and Derbyshire bred....."  (I will not finish it!) I would love a painting of the Derbyshire Dales, wouldn't I?




No comments:

Post a Comment