Saturday, 31 October 2020

OCTOBER 2020 (9)



It is great to be able to welcome Larry back to the blog and he has sent three great paintings. He says, "Sorry that I have not been submitting any paintings for the blog for a while. I have been very busy refurbishing a buy to let house that we purchased this summer, but thats all finished now. I attach three paintings which you may wish to put on the blog."

12

"This first one is of looking east one summer evening on the River Teme near the Temeside Inn. Unfortunately I had left my paints in our conservatory for several weeks without use and they had dried out but even after rewetting they were extremely granulating. From a distance it looks OK and does convey the rays of the late sun on the river and the distant trees."


13

"This next one is a painting of Gold Hill in Shaftesbury, recognisable from the Hovis advert on TV. I am not that happy with it as it appears quite dark and I think I have lost the luminescence of the watercolours."

14

"This last one is a last minute, hurried entry, for the October theme of ‘Natures Bounty’. I used an old sheet of ‘unstretched’ Claire Fontaine 140lbs rough paper. Unfortunately it cockled and bubbled horrendously so the background wash leaves a lot to be desired.

I should now have more time to devote to my painting and I am determined to become ‘looser’ in my painting style over the autumn and winter."

Thank you for these Larry, I know what you mean about leaving watercolours for a time. After trying gouache recently I decided I would also try my watercolours, many of my tube paints had hardened completely in the tube.  I cut them open to use them but I have thrown them away as I just could not obtain the richness of the freshly squeezed paint. However, I don't think you need to worry too much, I love granulation in watercolour and think it is one of it's greatest features so I think it looks good in your Teme painting. 
Was Gold Hill from life, or a photo? For me perspective on buildings going downhill, away from the viewer are very difficult and yours work very well indeed so I wouldn't be too disappointed with it.  
Your teasels, I absolutely love!  They fairly jump out of the picture and I never even noticed anything amiss with the background.  Super.

I admire you having an objective for your painting over the autumn and winter and I think we should, perhaps, all follow suit?  If you agree with me please let me know what yours is and I will post them on the blog with your work.   (Don't be shy; let us all try to push ourselves to achieve something more!)

2 comments:

  1. I love Larry’s paintings! Especially the teasels which do “jump out” at you. The colours are gorgeous - I’m going to have to try one day soon. I always have a few in the garden. Well done Larry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to have you back Larry! I really like your paintings and in particular the teasels. I have picked some but haven't been brave enough to try and paint them

    ReplyDelete