Tuesday, 20 November 2018

Monday 19th November 2018 at Little Hereford Village Hall

Almost a "full house" today, twelve of us met on a rather drear and chilly day but, thanks to Eva who turned on the radiators early, in a warm village hall. 

There was also lots of homework to review and I found it a very enjoyable, and useful exercise to learn what subject or media other members avoided and I hope others did too.  
You will remember homework was to "create something outside your own comfort zone, either subject or medium - or both!".  Here they are:







Lesley C started us off with her scraper board designs.  The first two are, what I think of, as the "original scraper board"  where black is scraped away to reveal white.  I had never heard of white scraper board where the artist colours the board themselves before scraping into that colour (although extra colour can be added afterwards).  Lesley says it is not for her but everyone was very impressed by them.  My personal favourite is the starlings; they are one of my favourite birds and I think she has captured them perfectly. 



I was next with watercolour pencils, animals and mounts (the latter not shown to save space).  I have "cheated" somewhat on the second image where the pencils are used dry, mainly because the paper was very thin, but I prefer it to the pig where the pencils were used to create washes and used as normal watercolours; even in this I resorted to using them dry too at the end.  Still not my preferred medium!


Larry doesn't like doing portraits and this one is of his daughter.  The figure modelling is great although he was not so happy with the face.  





These are Lesley M's although we only saw the first for the critique this week, the others were seen at the meeting on 5th November.  The first, in watercolour (Lesley normally works in graphite) an abstract painting inspired by a view of Lesley's garden from the house.  Although she hasn't tried abstract before I am pretty sure she will be doing more, super job.  The other representational works, one of sheep, in soft pastels and one of a letter box in acrylic were from photos.  


Johns', in oil, copied from a painting.  What a simple but effective landscape, I think we could all learn from that.  John's has a lovely colour palette and I prefer his sky to that in the original.



George's works, both in water colour.  We saw the first, of trees, on the 5th November and it has already sold.  The second is a collection of images from one of his sketch books represented almost as a painted collage of memories, what a great idea that is.  As Angie remarked it holds ones interest as the more you look, the more things are seen in the design.



Eva did a collage of leaves cut from magazines, matching the colours and creating a very effective design.  This needs considerable patience and skill to select the images that will work.  Look very closely and you may recognise some!



Ruth also created two pieces, both in her least favourite medium of watercolour.  Interestingly she prefers watercolour pencils (my least liked) but I think that both of these work really well.  I think she should do more - but she was working in oil at the meeting and I look forward to seeing that when it is completed.


Kathy also used watercolour pencil for this beautiful sketch of a much loved cat.  As the paper was not a heavy weight she left it dry but may try doing it again on heavier paper that she can wet.  I think she should.


Angie brought along this beautiful drawing of a boxer.  As a "cat person" drawing a dog was a new experience for her and one that worked well.  Angie my photo had a shadow across the bottom left that I didn't notice at the time.  If you have a better photo you can let me have I will swap it



Bob hadn't brought any homework with him but sent me an i-pad print of a drawing he did, on the i-pad, of his grand daughters pet dog.  I watched Bob working on his screen at the meeting and although I have tried it, very half heartedly on my own i-pad, it is not for me.  Bob however loves it and I love the image and I bet his grand daughter does too.  Thanks Bob.

Thank you Susie for sending me this photo of your lino cut.  I know you had some problems when you were creating it but your perseverance paid off and everyone agreed it works really well.



Thank you Sam for sending Bridget's lovely watercolour of the river Teme.  



John has sent me this super portrait of his dog that I believe is in oils.  Great job John.


Looking back at the work you all produced and shown here, I am incredibly impressed by the variety of subject matter, media and quality of the work and I am sure anyone else looking at the blog will be too.  Super work by everyone.  


Homework for next time.  
Charles Demuth's painting "I saw the figure five in gold" was inspired by the poem "The great figure" and painted in honour of the poet William Carlos Williams, who was his friend.  You may have a favourite number, or one that has a special meaning for you or someone you know; create a composition using that number or numbers.  Any medium or size.


Remember, we generally only present homework at the third Monday of the month.  However, I am always happy to include any work you have done that you would like recorded.  You needn't wait for me to photograph it either, a jpeg or pdf file sent to me by email will work equally well.  




No comments:

Post a Comment