Wednesday, 21 June 2017

Meeting Monday 19th June 2017 at Burford House Gardens

At 10.30 five of us met at the village hall to compare and discuss the May homework:



Bridget had selected a light coloured mug and placed it in different positions on two different coloured backgrounds.  Using watercolour she took care to represent the reflected colours where she saw them in each case.


Ruth managed four different watercolour pictures using different coloured backgrounds and lighting.  She numbered them and was pleased to note her progression as she completed each one; proving, as she said, that practice is worth while.  Well done Ruth.  


I used the same coloured backgrounds for each but lit them and placed them differently each time.  I also experimented with media; bottom left (1st painting) acrylic ( I took too long with this); bottom right (2nd painting) acrylic (quicker); top left (3rd painting) oil; top right (fourth painting) acrylic underpainting followed by oil).


Eva had missed the session we did on lighting in May but managed two good efforts using watercolour in natural sunlight.  Well done Eva.



Susie's completed four paintings of an egg in an eggcup, all in watercolour.  She used two different colour schemes with different placements and lighting and is the only one of us to show the direction of the light (in pencil).  Very well done, Susie.  

Afterwards we progressed to Burford House for some outdoor sketching.  I had agreed with the garden centre that we could paint within the plant centre as they usually have some nice arrangements of plants, equipment and pots but it was so hot, with no appreciable shade there, so we all opted for sitting in the shade beneath the tree outside the cafe.  Good for drinks, and lunch too, but not so good for variety of subjects for our paintings.
Here are our, mostly unfinished efforts:


Susie finished her sketch first as she needed to leave early.  I think this would make a nice painting at a later date.


I said that Susie had finished first but knowing the speed Bridget works at she could have been quicker and I did not notice.  


Eva was next, a lovely watercolour and finished very quickly.


This is mine - yes I did move the table and chairs in my watercolour sketch, they 
were actually on the grass.


And here is Ruth's, in graphite and watercolour pencils. I think this works very well. 
 Ruth and I stayed on longer than the others and needed chocolate cake and tea to sustain us until we finished our sketches!

Next meeting is Monday July 17th and we are invited to paint in the Wyre Forest, followed by tea at Lesley Connolly's where she lives.  Car sharing will be appreciated but more details of times and directions will follow, here on the blog; or phone me (01584 711877) nearer the time.

Homework  - "My garden in June 2017".  The emphasis is on "garden" so a single plant or flower will not do.  Create a composition epitomising your summer garden.  Any medium, any size.  















No comments:

Post a Comment