Tuesday, 16 May 2017

Meeting Monday 15th May at the village hall.

Only five of us this week as several people are on holiday or had prior commitments.  Homework was also scant but, I am sure you will agree, made up for this with quality.  The subject matter was "Hardware or Haberdashery" and it always surprises, and interests, me how diverse the compositions often are and this month was no exception.

We spent some time looking and critiquing each of them which I hope was as useful to everyone as it was to me.  I am sure that you will agree that they are all impressive.   So thanks to Susie, Lesley and Angie for providing them.  



Susie visited a hardware shop and found this display set up inside.  Created in watercolour it makes a really interesting composition in very subtle complementary colours. Very well observed with great shapes.



More fantastic shapes, Lesley just opened her needlework box and painted this composition straight from it using felt tip pens and oil pastels. Super.


Angie's watercolour arrangement of haberdashery items is very well composed and beautifully drawn.


John couldn't manage to get to the meeting but did complete the homework that he has forwarded to me.  A great composition of an old fashioned haberdashery shop with a rather saucy stocking!  Well done John.

For the next session I had set up a "shadow box" for use with still life subjects.  It is probably best described as being like a small stage set using coloured backgrounds and papers to complement the subject matter, and lighting to create shadows or other effects to give the best composition.  

I did create a short, rather basic, handout on the shadow box that also included examples of this months set homework and if anyone is interested I can forward this on to you.  




We tried so many different combinations in the shadow box we did not have much time left for painting although Lesley managed to do some work on a picture of sheep and lambs. 

I had to leave early but I am told she also found time to give some useful advice to the others on some of their other work.  Thanks Lesley.  



Homework for next time is to choose a simple cup or other item from around the house and four pieces of coloured paper, that preferably go well together, and to create, and paint, four different compositions using just these objects.  Try different vantage points and lighting from different angles.  Don't paint until you are excited about each composition.  Bring homework to the June meeting but don't worry if you the haven't time to do it.


Next meeting 19th June 10.30 village hall.  If the weather is good we may paint outside otherwise continue with your own individual projects.  

No comments:

Post a Comment