Friday, 13 August 2021

AUGUST 2021 (4)

Another interesting and informative post from Larry has arrived together with another super watercolour, he says :

"I was out again today with the Herefordshire Painting Club who have a new website:

We were at Monnington Court, Monnington on Wye, the home of John Bulmer, of Bulmers Cider, and his wife Angela Conner.  John Bulmer has actually made his name, not through cider, but as a photographer and film maker and, I am told, is regarded by many with the same esteem as David Bailey and Lord Lichfield.  He worked initially for the Daily Express before moving onto the Sunday Times Colour Section as well as Varsity and Queen.  In later life he turned to producing documentary films for the BBC, National Geographic and the Discovery Channel.  Angela Conner is an eminent sculptress and assisted Barbara Hepworth early in her career. Her work is displayed at many places in the UK including Chatsworth House (14 bronze busts), outside the National Theatre and the Victoria and Albert Museum.  She also has work in a number of US public collections, including the Carnegie Museum in Pittsburg.  Many of her sculptures are also displayed in the grounds at Monnington Court.  In their spare time they breed Monnington Morgan horses famously used for dressage and trotting.  They are the co-founders of the British Morgan Horse Society.

The painting is of St Mary’s Church which stand adjacent to their house.  It has no power or electricity and has to rely on oil lamps when it is occasionally used.  


A great painting of a beautiful subject, what a lovely old church.  It would be lovely to visit for a service lit by oil lamps.








1 comment:

  1. I had a painting day there a few years ago, I did the same view across the lake to the church. Yours is a lot better as I spent most of my day watching the horses! Do they still have white peacocks? Lesley C

    ReplyDelete